Friday, February 17, 2012

Interracial?

My husband who is a White American Male told me that sometimes he forgets I'm Asian.  We have known each other since high school which is 17 years.  We have been together for a total of 8 years. I speak perfect American English without the slightest Asian accent.  I eat the same things any other person in the States would.  Are we really interracial as a couple?

By definition because I am of Asian ascent and I look the part of an Asian and he looks the part of a American we are considered interracial but we both have US social security numbers, we were both born here and went to school here.  So is the only defining interracial characteristic one's heritage/culture?  If we take it that literally we can easily argue that everyone is interracial in some way.

This term interracial is just a big grey area in my head.
The stranger and more comforting thing to me is that my husband doesn't even think of me as an Asian person most of the time.  I'm just his wife, his Esther, his best friend and companion.  Isn't that wonderful when relationships completely transcend silly terms like interracial?

No comments:

Post a Comment