Friday, March 16, 2012

Asian Drivers

There are so many bad stereotypes about Asian drivers, even worse are Female Asian drivers.  Personally growing up in the States I would like to think I drive better then most, but my husband thinks I'm also bad but in other ways.

The stereotypes seem to be swerving, riding the line, going too slow, not using turn signals or keeping them on too long.  I think they happen for a reason.  If they are a first generation where they moved here from another country driving may not be a natural thing to do in their culture.  In Korea people can go their whole lives without ever having to drive a car themselves because the public transportation is run so well and it is everywhere.  Also if you lived in the country cars are not always the best transportation because of narrow roads or unpaved roads.  It's very easy to get into the name calling and road rage behaviors but if you take a minute, take a breath and think compassionately about how terrifying it might be for them to drive.

I am a "bad" driver because I grew up when import car racing was getting hot public attention with the movie "The Fast and the Furious", I'd already been a little into import racing and body kits before hand because my family owned a junkyard with a used car dealership so I knew about cars from inside and out. I tend to be a little speedy, take sharp turns and enjoy an angry drive in the rain.  These days I'm usually more relaxed when I have someone in my car unless I am in a mood but when I am alone I love to push my mini cooper a little on tight turns and fancy wheel work.

A friend told me a great story about their mom who was a bit of a slow driver on LSD (Lake Shore Drive in Chicago).  His mom was driving into the city and a van of Hispanics (not that it matters) breezed by her flipped the birdie and cut her off and brake checked her.  She got so riled up she changed lanes got next to them and did what she thought was the same courtesy before she speed off.  While retelling the story to my friend she was very proud.  She said "They gave me one finger (holds up middle finger) I gave them THREE! (holds up pointer middle and ring finger in pride)".  He just didn't have the heart to tell his mom how what she did probably confused them and not insulted them at all.

Stereotypes like Asian drivers can be annoying and harmful or just a good joke.  It all depends on your point of view.  I like to think of my friends Mom and hope there are other great mistakes like that due to cultural misunderstandings.  Otherwise I'm practicing to have a little more patience when I am on the Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment